The Best Immigrant Entrepreneur Award recognizes an outstanding new Canadian who has started a successful business in B.C. This individual has overcome adversity, exhibits leadership both in their community and within their business, and has strong track record of business growth.
- Overcoming Adversity: Individual has achieved success despite the challenges and barriers of being an immigrant in Canada.
- Leadership: Showcases strong leadership through both business practices and involvement within the community he/she operates.
- Track Record and Growth Plan: Business demonstrates a proven track record of financial success and is positioned for growth.
To be eligible for the Best Immigrant Entrepreneur Award, nominees must be the primary owner and operator of a BC business that has been in operation for a minimum of 24 months. Nominees must have landed in Canada within the last ten (10) years and be a permanent resident or a citizen of Canada. The business must have less than 50 employees.
Being the “primary owner and operator” is defined as have a minimum of 51% ownership (being the majority stakeholder) and being active in the business. The individual’s primary source of income should be derived from this entrepreneurial initiative.
Nominees may be asked to provide proof of their permanent residency.
Items Our Judges Will Assess:
Our judges will consider the following when deciding the winner:
- Personal story and challenges that have been overcome.
- Description of the business, products and/or services, including unique selling proposition.
- The company’s track record of financial success and growth plans for the future.
- One year of recent financial statements, including the following: an income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement, as well as projections for the next year.
- The company’s approach to human resources and marketing.
- Description of the individual’s involvement in the community.
The winner of the Best Immigrant Entrepreneur Award will be recognized with a cash prize of $1,500.
The winner will also be offered a one-year all-access pass to Small Business BC education, resources and experts, and the opportunity for extensive media exposure.