The Best Employer Award, sponsored by TruShield Insurance, recognizes the business that goes above and beyond for their employees and provides the best overall place to work. The company values employee development and retention on the same level that it values productivity and business growth. It places high levels of importance on corporate culture and a happy and healthy work environment for their staff.
- Financial Strength and Sustainable Remuneration: Balances revenue generation and profitability with a strong and sustainable structure for employee compensation via benefits, wages and management practices.
- Recruitment, Retention and Personal Growth: Demonstrates strategic employee recruitment and retention activities. Is committed to workforce development; employee training and education/professional development opportunities.
- Culture, Wellness and Safety: Displays commitment to providing programs for a happy and healthy workplace as part of its company goals and overall strategy.
To be eligible for the Best Employer Award, nominees must be currently operating a business in BC, with a minimum of 2 employees (50 max) for a period of 2 years or more as of December 31, 2016.
To win this award, all nominees shortlisted as Top 10 semi-finalists will be required to provide:
- A description of the employee compensation structure and how the organization ensures they are competitive within the industry.
- An explanation of the strategies in place to maintain profitability while engaging and retaining employees.
- The company’s recruitment strategies and examples of how they’ve been effectively practiced while considering the overall goals and values of the business.
- The company’s commitment to hiring for, and creating, a diverse workplace.
- An overview of plans for retaining staff while pursuing growth.
- A description of leadership and mentorship practices used for employee development.
- Examples of current activities that foster a dynamic, happy and healthy workplace.
- An account of OH&S metrics that demonstrates leadership within your industry.
- Examples of the company’s commitment to, and recognition as, a provider of an exceptional workplace.
The winner of the Best Employer Award will be recognized with the Premier’s Prize in the amount of $1,500 cash.
The winner will also be offered a one-year all-access pass to Small Business BC education resources and experts, and the opportunity for extensive media exposure.